Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Christmas Comes But Once a Year

   I'm sitting here thinking of Christmas. Not necessarily the one coming up, but of past Christmases.

   In my family, we never really had any particular "Tradition" - something that we always did no matter what. Like help out at a homeless shelter or go to church as a family.

   What we mostly did as kids was wait until we could just about see the sky start to lighten up then sneak out to see a pile of packages under the Christmas tree. We'd wake our parents, sit around and open the packages then have breakfast. I guess we did have a tradition after all.

   As I've gotten older, Christmas isn't what it was when I was younger. I guess some of the magic of the holiday has lost it's sparkle. Not having any children may contribute to that. Christmas has always been, for me, a children's holiday.

   My wife and I are in our 60s and we don't do much for Christmas other than maybe visit relatives and make the Christmas dinner of Turkey, potatoes, yams, dressing and cranberry sauce. We then have leftovers for the rest of the week.

   After last Thanksgiving, we stripped the meat from our turkey and put all the bones and scraps out for the neighborhood scavengers. We'll probably do the same with our Christmas turkey.

   As for gift giving, we (my wife and I) have what we need and don't much lust after spendy trinkets and such. We will wait until we get our tax refund check then buy stuff that we agree on and maybe a small gift for one another.

   I've been wanting a comfortable new chair for the living room and maybe one of those e-book readers like the Kindle or the Barnes & Noble Nook pads. I love to read and I usually buy my books on line. The e-books are available almost instantly and are several dollars cheaper than print books. But when you factor in the cost of the reader am I really saving any money? We'll see...

   I guess that getting old isn't what it's cracked up to be. The body creaks and the holidays have lost their allure. I seldom have the need for "The Next New Thing" and I concern myself with things like politics and is Taylor Swift REALLY a country singer? Will my pipes freeze up this winter and what the hell is the attraction to Hip Hop and Rap?

As The Geezer I'm going to leave Christmas to the kids and find myself an nice quilt to put over my legs as I watch UFC re-runs. Merry Christmas!

3 comments:

  1. Steve, Sounds like my xmas, both before and now. Question- what was a Sonar Tech doing teaching Aircrew Survival. We were buddies in Key West. george

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not having kids anymore at home makes Christmas sort of like any other day. Our Christmas was earlier, going to Reno, seeing kids, grandkids and even YOU! Merry Christmas you old geezer, from the little crone.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. George:

    Send me a PM on BCUSA and I'll tell ya!

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

I'd be interested to hear your comments. Thanks for reading The Geezer Guide!