Thursday, February 2, 2012

What the Heck is Going On Here?

   I went to the cinema a few days ago and saw the film Red Tails. Not a bad flick but I honestly expected a bit more. While there I saw a poster for an upcoming movie: "Abraham Lincoln - Vampire Hunter"!

   I couldn't believe it. I went home and Googled it. It turns out that Abe's mother was killed by a vampire (The things that get left out of the history books!) and Abe spends the rest of his life hunting them down. He apparently does this in his spare time while working as a Lawyer and later as President of the U.S.A., fighting the Civil War and freeing the slaves. Abe was a busy guy.

   Now, I am ready to suspend my disbelief for a couple of hours for a film but this just rankles beyond reason. I promise you that after this film is shown there will be more than one teen aged idiot who will actually believe that Abraham Lincoln hunted vampires in his spare time. A sad commentary, but very likely to happen!

   I know this because after I watched the film "Inglourius Basterds" I overheard a grown woman remark, "I thought that Hitler committed suicide at the end of the war. I never knew that he was killed in a movie theater by a Jewish girl". This was from a grown WOMAN! Someone who actually knew better but was convinced by this film that what she had learned in school was all wrong!

   I wish that filmmakers would not screw with history. There's way too many semi-educated people out there who will totally believe them.

   There are already too many people that believe that the Holocaust was all Zionist propaganda and that the U.S. didn't actually land men on the moon but filmed the event in a studio in the desert and that the Great Pyramids are actually landing ports for UFOs. (Bigfoot is real, but that's another post).

   Mark my words: There will come a time when the majority of the population will believe crap like this and sane individuals (like me and maybe you) will have to steel ourselves whenever we enter into a conversation with a New Age airhead whose main sources of information are the movie theater, television and the Internet.

   The next time you hear someone mindlessly babbling on about so-called "Facts" that you KNOW aren't true, ask them to tell you what were the last three books they read. This will give you an accurate assessment of what's going on in his/her head. If the books are only available in soft cover or include cartoon pictures or include the words "New Age" or "The Real Truth About..." just turn and walk away. Mark them as a lost cause. Listening to them will only cause you to develop a brain hemorrhage or maybe, if you're lucky only your ears will begin to bleed.

    We live in a free country and everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion but really! If the entertainment industry keeps throwing crap at us like a bored monkey in a zoo we'll soon be buried under so much of the stuff that we won't know which way is up.

   As a Geezer I have to hope that the generation following mine is a whole is smarter than I currently believe them to be. But they're probably not...

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you 100% - I may enjoy mindless entertainment from time to time but I'm smart enough to realize what I'm watching is just that "mindless entertainment" - unlike many who believe everything they read and see. As a Civil War Re-enactor I've heard it all - I remember one "battle" I was viewing and overheard a grown man explain to his girlfriend/wife - "this is a reenactment of when we got our independance from England and the guys in gray are the Germans!" - Seattle is now hosting "vampire tours" (the real and the imaginary vampire culture in Seattle) really....
    Oh well...perhaps 2012 will be the end of the world (snerk) and we won't have to worry anymore!

    ReplyDelete

I'd be interested to hear your comments. Thanks for reading The Geezer Guide!