Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Computers: A Double Edged Sword!

Yesterday I attempted to upgrade the RAM memory in my computer. I purchased a 500 mb memory board from Amazon and installed it last night.

I turned the computer on and it ran great! The speed was faster. I could load videos and watch them in real time. I could upload stuff much faster that before...

Then the entire system CRASHED!

I had to do a system re-format and lost about 95% of my saved files including photos and a book that I have been writing! Arrrrgghhhh!

I worked for about 6 hours last night just to get things back together to a point that I could operate again. AFTER removing the new board!

I discovered that I had saved my book on a memory stick and only lost the last 3 chapters which I had printed out so I only have to copy the last 3 chapters and I'll be back in business, so to speak. (I'm writing a book - More about that in a future post).

This unfortunate incident reminded me how technology has saturated our lives. How dependent we are on computers, remote control devices and other things we now take for granted in this day and age. e-Mail, Banking by computer, data storage, Internet news etc.

30 years ago we didn't have this stuff and we lived happy and productive lives. How did we do it? Could we get along now without cell phones and computers? If we were forced to, we could but what a drag!

When something goes wrong with my computer I get the cold sweats and my hands start shaking. I wonder if I'll have to go to WalMart and put out another $500 for a new system. It's scary!

If your computer is running well - don't screw with it! Leave well enough alone! It's what I plan on doing!

I spent the better part of last night re-building my files and setting up the sites that I visit as well as my e-Mail accounts and online pharmacy, etc. It was nerve-wracking and tedious! I swear, I swear that I'll ALWAYS back up my files from now on! I can't afford not to.

Geezers like me can't take this tension! If this ever happens again, I'll go next door and just borrow their 9 year old. I'm sure she can fix it in nothing flat!

1 comment:

  1. I just recovered from the dreaded black screen of death......it's worse than the plague

    ReplyDelete

I'd be interested to hear your comments. Thanks for reading The Geezer Guide!